Monday, October 9, 2017

Veil Vanishes like a Scrim Curtain as Lights Come Up Behind It!

~ Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen: Scenic & Lighting Design by Richard Finkelstein ~
WHEN THE EVENT HAPPENS, HOLOGRAPHIC ILLUSION OF THIRD DENSITY IS GONE...


Before graduating from High School in Newport Beach, California I was bitten by the "theatre bug" and joined the Corona del Mar Drama Association and my first set design was for Kaufman & Hart's The Man Who Came to Dinner, the senior play in 1968. Then, I put my sights upon becoming a Broadway scene designer like Jo Melziner, so I attended the University of California at Riverside with that ambition in mind. The following year, I transferred to the Irvine campus of same University for professional quality training in the art from a design professor - only to find that our egos clashed. After descending from having "A" quality designs at the head of his class, I dropped to a "D" for no apparent reason. So, totally frustrated with this development, I dropped out of school and hitch-hiked across the United States to Massachusetts where I joined The Fisherman's Players of Cape Cod and started building sets at the community theatre level. Later, upon reaching my intended destination of Nantucket Island in the Fall of 1971, I built scenery at the Straight Wharf Theatre and was co-designing the set for Alice in Wonderland when another clash of egos resulted in me withdrawing my name from the program and yielding to the other designer. In 1975, Straight Wharf Theatre burned to the ground and photo in the island's newspaper showed "Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin" inscribed on the remaining backstage wall of the gutted theatre. The Courtyard, a mini-mall of curio shops now stands in its place. The Nantucket Theatre Workshop, formerly of the Straight Wharf venue moved up Centre Street to Bennett Hall at the First Congregational Church, where I took a minor role onstage as one of four Proteans in Stephen Sondheim's musical, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum in 1984. Then, I played a pivotal character/cameo role in William Saroyan's The Time of Your Life in May of that year. By 1985, I designed the set for Company, another musical by Sondheim utilizing platforms on several levels and was the co-designer for Oklahoma! with the NTW Artistic Director. After I designed the set for The Unexpected Guest by Agatha Christie, Amahl and the Night Visitors (adapted from a 1950s era television script), Philadelphia, Here I Come! by Brian Friel, and Hotel Paradiso, a farce by Georges Feydeau - I left Nantucket Island for Gloucester on the North Shore of Massachusetts with Susan, and our infant daughter Mary in November, 1987. We raised her in "Fishtown" with her younger brother David who was born in 1990, and bought a home on Wheeler Street in 1993 that I called "Underhill", as it was at the base of Pole's Hill (saved by a local ballot initiative, Question 5, in 1998). In 2013 we sold it and moved to New Bedford, where I built sets and hung lights at Your Theatre briefly, before making a major personal change in life direction to join an Intentional Community in Shutesbury, MA - Sirius, which is an Eco-village started by former members of Findhorn in Scotland... I took a 5-week Immersion Program in 2015, and explored Membership starting in 2016, and was accepted as a Full Member on my 67th birthday in March of this year.

My experience in the field of Applied Metaphysics that began with my spiritual awakening in 1976, and continued under the mentorship of a close friend in Nantucket until I applied for admission at the University of Metaphysics (presently based in Sedona, Arizona) where I earned two Metaphysical doctoral degrees by 1997. This past month I taught my 1st Course in the Sirius Immersion Program: "How to Live by the Golden Rule: Accountability Training for Living in Community with Others." I also enjoy a freestyle form of creative dance that I initially discovered back in 1974 on an off-island trip to Cambridge, MA - held in a church hall not far from Harvard Square, known as "Dance Free." In the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, it is called "Dance Spree," and held at various locations on different nights of the week, with a daytime version on Sunday mornings known as "Dance Spirit." ~ JDHWB-R

WATCH THE VEIL BECOME TRANSPARENT, AS HUMANITY ENTERS A NEW PARADIGM!



No comments:

Post a Comment