Friday, October 5, 2018

The Sign of Inky: 47 Years After I Set Foot on Nantucket Island!

~ A Black Cat, similar to the one I saw today in Shutesbury, Massachusetts ~
This morning (October 5th, 2018) I saw a black cat outside my window, in front of "My Space" at Sirius Community. On the 15th of May in 1974, my "Halloween cat" Inky vanished chasing june bugs, 4 years to the day Joseph Blackshear Bryan died without my knowing the man listed upon my birth certificate as my father. Plague condition precipitated personal business collapse, in the year when 10cc released "The Wall Street Shuffle" at the outset of recession in 1974. I was known as "The Pen and Ink Artist of Main Street" on the island of Nantucket living on my sign and art commissions until they dried up, so I sought employment as a dishwasher at the Jared Coffin House. I moved over to the maintenance department, learning to work the interior painting trade. After my stint with 2 painting contractors I set up the "Nantucket Painting, Sign, & Art Co." This supported me until I met the mother of my two children, Susan, when I took a job as pressman at the Inquirer & Mirror newspaper. Our 1st child, Mary, was born on Nantucket before we moved off of the island to Gloucester, a/k/a "Fishtown," on the North Shore of Massachusetts... My return to the "Far Away Island," and start of rebuilding my lost art business, came last week when I traveled from Sirius, the Eco-village where I live in Shutesbury, for 4 days with my next door neighbor at the Community, and photographed corner of Main & Federal Streets as subject for my new painting as catalyst for regenerating my lost art business when Inky vanished.

No comments:

Post a Comment